Mike and I both turned 30 this year and in order to celebrate, I decided to throw him a surprise party. I found a pot throwing studio nearby that you can rent out for parties. It was the best idea ever! Mike loves to work with clay--he took classes in high school and college. He has been looking for his own pottery wheel for years, but with no place to put it right now, he hasn't jumped the gun, yet. When I found this place, I knew he would really enjoy it. I invited a few of our friends, asked his buddy to get him to help pick up a piece of furniture (when in reality he was coming to his surprise party), and we anxiously awaited his arrival. It was a huge hit with everyone--and Mike was really surprised. The whole week before I assumed he knew and just pretended he didn't, but he honestly didn't know anything. I was so glad once the surprise part was over--I was just nervous I was going to spill the beans before the big day. It was a great way to celebrate the big 3-0! I hope we can go back another day for fun because it was so fun!
The party food
A chocolate oreo cream birthday cake.
I made a collage of photos of Mike growing up--basically the past 30 years. We hung up a couple poster sizes around the clay studio.
The surprise--when he first walked in the place, he thought, "Oh cool! Why don't we stay awhile and throw some clay before we move furniture?"
Then he saw everyone and was like "Awww man!"
Surprise honey!
The group receiving instructions....
The first throw--watch out!
Working the wheel....
Smooth hands...
There were about 10 wheels for everyone to try out. We had them all going and everyone got to make one or 2 items.
Emma got to be part of the action, along with 2 other babies, Miles and Scott.
I even got in on the action once I was done taking pictures, etc.
We forgot candles, so the owner of the studio brought out his--a blow torch!
Happy birthday, Mike! Here's to another 30+ years!
No comments:
Post a Comment