On to more exciting things. On Friday I begged Mike to take Abby and I to the Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade. Here is a description of what it is:
"Beautiful multi-million dollar yachts, kayaks, canoes and other small boats will light up the harbor as a dazzling array of holiday lights and music fill the air at the Christmas Boat Parade. Many of the boats will be richly decorated with animated Christmas scenes accompanied by music and costumed carolers. Some boat owners in the past have spent over $50,000 to decorate their vessels for the event. The Christmas floats will wind their way some 14 miles around the harbor to give viewers in restaurants, yacht clubs, on public beaches, and in private homes a incredible sight that has delighted millions of people for 98 years."
It was the 99th annual parade and they expected over 1 million people to show up over a span of 5 nights. It started at 6:30, but didn't reach different points on the route until later in the evening. Of course we didn't leave until 7:30 and didn't find parking until 8:30, so we missed a lot of the parade, but we got the idea. And by leaving late we missed a lot of the crowds. We had a fun time walking down Balboa Island and then to the harbor to watch the boats pass. Abby even enjoyed all the lights. I thought it was a very unique way to celebrate the holidays and people went all out to decorate their boats. I was amazed at some of the detail and effort that went into decorating.


On Saturday morning our ward had its Christmas party where they served breakfast and the kids had a chance to meet Santa. Mike insisted we have Abby sit on Santa's lap because it is her first Christmas. I was a little reluctant because there was such a long line to see him, but we waited and gave Abby to Santa to hold. She was kind of confused about the long beard and hairy face, and before too long her bottom lip quivered, and she started to cry. It was so sad (but kind of funny) to watch. I guess she won't like Santa for a long time. We managed to snap a picture before she really started to cry.
Finally, a couple pictures to end with. My good friend Wendy made this adorable dress for Abby, which she finally fit into today for church. It is adorable!!! I got lots of comments on it at church! The tights are from Children's Place, but I snagged them from a garage sale--they had never been worn! I got a black and red pair for a steal!
This picture I just had to post because of how funny it looks. Abby was trying on a headband I made for her with a new clip Grandma Sue sent. The clip was kind of heavy for the headband, so it fell over her eyes while she was wearing it. The funny part is I didn't notice it at first, but Abby was grunting and making her "uncomfortable" noises. When I turned around it had fallen over her eyes and she was shaking her head back and forth to get it off. Too cute! I just had to laugh at how funny it looked.

We are headed to Utah this Friday to be with my family for the holidays. We will ALL be there (all 24 of us) at my parents house for Christmas Eve, and we can't wait! It will be a blast! I probably won't post until after we get back (in January), so Merry Christmas everyone!
1 comment:
too bad our walks haven't worked out to well yet. I hope going to book club helped get that social interaction you needed. I had fun! I'll talk to you soon!
Post a Comment