Monday, June 1, 2009

Girls Weekend: Chicago Edition

For my sister Liz's 30th birthday, my two older sisters, my mom, and I all flew out to Chicago to surprise her! No kids were allowed except for two nursing babies. So Abby was left behind again with Mike and a few friends who watched her while he studied. Liz took a bus out to meet my sister, Robin, who was on a "trip with her husband and his work." She had no idea the rest of us were going to be there, and not Robin's husband! :) We all got there on Thursday and waited for Liz and Robin at a restaraunt. She was so surprised! I thought for sure she knew about it, but she was truly surprised! Her face was classic, which my mom caught on camera, so I don't have a copy of it, yet. Anyway, we had a great weekend hanging out in the city, eating good food, shopping the Magnificent Mile, taking tours of the Chicago River, and checking out the view from the 96th floor of the Hancock Building! Here are some pictures to journal the weekend!


A true surprise at dinner!


Liz and I


The girls +Dylan (we missed you Amy!)


I think this was my favorite building: the Trump Tower. Beautiful! I couldn't get over how slick it looked. I think Chicago has some of the most interesting architecture--so unique!

96th floor of Hancock Building!


My other favorite towers: the corn cobs! These were so interesting. When I first got off the "L" train, these were the first things I saw! Condos on top and parking on the bottom.
We went to a Cubs game (courtesy of Robin's husband's work...Thanks Duane!) And the best part is, it was a Cubs vs. Dodgers game! Our famly team! I loved the stadium--total old school with a classic feel!

We got a limo ride (thanks again Duane) to the game. We rode in style!

This is how close our seats were: 2nd row behind Cubs dug-out! This is without a zoom on my camera. I could have reached out and rubbed his bald head. Haha!

A "Chicago" dog--topped with tomatoes, relish, onions, and ketchup. The guy sitting next to me couldn't believe I put ketchup on it. Apparently, a real "Chicago" dog doesn't include ketchup. It was still yummy!

We took a boat tour around the river that runs through the city. I LOVED it. It really high-lighted the beautiful structures around the city. Thanks Mom!

Waiting in line for the quick elevator ride up to the 96th floor. It really was a fast elevator!

Baby #1 allowed: sweet Shaylee

Baby #2 allowed: studly Dylan

Good-bye beautiful Chicago! I'll miss you!
What should we do for my 30th? Boston? New York? London? LA Fabric District? :)

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What an awesome weekend!!! It was the best birthday present ever, I had a wonderful birthday thanks to you all. And, I am thinking the LA fabric district, so I better start saving my money. :)

Ali said...

You and your sisters are an inspiration! I look at this trip and think -"Someday!" I'm so glad it was just perfect- you got some great pictures to document too!

Mom said...

Wow! You got those pictures up fast!! It was a GREAT weekend. Every bit of it was fun. I do think it might have to become a yearly thing. (We can think of a reason, right?) Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Mom said...

If this becomes an annual thing - I can see a golf outing in the making for Hiton Head, St. Andrews, or even Hawaii!!! Glad everyone had a wonderful time. Dad

Carrie said...

What a fun trip! I love Chicago. Hey, I wanted to send you the info for the Woodbridge 4th of July run but I don't have your e-mail address. E-mail me at carrie dot wood at hotmail dot com!

Lyric said...

You are the luckiest chick I know! You've gotten away kid free more than I have in my whole mom-hood! I'm going to be like you when I grow up! haha. Looks like a fun trip! ;)