1. Don't make birthday parties a huge deal.
2. Do your chores while kids are awake. Using naptime to wash dishes or clean the bathroom is truly soul-crushing.
3. If the kids are awake, bite the bullet and be awake yourself. You'll waste so many hours trying futilely to extend early-morning snoozes that it's not worth it. If you are sick, pregnant, or it's the middle of the night, ignore this advice.
4. Just throw away the poopy underwear.
5. Don't beat yourself up if you have to use a bribe.
6. Buy cheap shoes when kids are little. Feet grow faster than you think.
7. Know this: That stain won't come out. And it's okay. (The sooner you accept this, the better.)
8. Teach them to pump on the swings ASAP.
9. Get used to the word zerrissenheit. It means a state of disjointedness, and it's the new normal for most of us. At least you can feel fancy because it's German.
10. Don't administer a punishment that hurts you more than it does them.
11. Do not allow the word wienies in your home.
12. Dress your little girls like, well, little girls.
13. It's fine to brag about yourself to your kids.
14. Independence is a wonderful thing. For everyone. So is together time. Make sure you have a healthy dose of both.
15. Don't buy the most expensive school picture-package. It's a waste of money.
And my favorite:
16. If your child falls asleep occasionally without brushing her teeth, don't wake her; baby teeth do eventually fall out.
What are some of your favorites?
8 comments:
That was a great list! We have been doing #4 A LOT lately, and Collin just mastered #8, which makes park visits much more enjoyable.
What a great list!!! Sure wish I'd seen that about 35 years ago!! :) In my opinion, they are ALL true!
Julie Walters was telling me about this same list a couple of weeks ago (about the stain one in particular) too funny...
She looks intent on making that picture perfect!
I have been struggling with #7 -the stain won't come out. I guess i should just listen because he will grow out of the shirt in a couple months right? Love the apron.
Ha. I like. I agree with #2, "soul-crushing", but I have yet to figure out how to do it effectively otherwise (I can only allow so many movies before I'm guilt-ridden and they are grouches from it- is there one for that).
Hear, hear to #6 and I'd add, and they don't need that many pairs (church, casual, your set!)- ha, listen to me, I'm even to cheap to always abide by #4...though I have once :).
I love the apron...at least she can use it for everyday things. I make Day take hers off before she does anything...ha. I'm glad you tried painting. It's fun!
Love the apron Laura, and the dress you made Abby. What a little seamstress you are becoming! I'm so proud of you! :) p.s. we miss you :(
I love your craftiness! Wish I could make such cute things.
Post a Comment