Thursday, May 13, 2010

Running a Marathon

At the beginning of this year I decided to start training for a marathon. My sister convinced me to do it and I thought, why not? I found a race to run in, and was excited to conquer this goal. It felt good to be accomplishing something at such a large magnitude--and to do it for myself. Training for the past 5 months has been an up and down roller coaster. I had a love-hate relationship with running. I became addicted to it and found myself looking forward to it each day. I was running 4 days a week, gradually increasing my mileage. Saturdays were always my long runs and after awhile, I began to tire of the schedule. I hated taking 3 hours on Saturday to run and then be so tired and wasted the rest of the day, the whole weekend was shot. Mike and Abby were tiring of it, too. I would try and run in the morning before Abby woke up, but some days were harder than others.

After researching the marathon race and finding out it had a 2500 foot elevation climb, I realized I was in over my head. I stink at running up hills--and in a marathon? I just didn't see that as enjoyable. I love running, but I'm not a big fan of running uphill for 8 miles straight! I decided to still run a marathon, but my own "home-made" race. I planned on running it on June 5th, the original marathon race date, but in P-Town, not hilly Aptos.

While running my long 18 mile run this past Saturday, I decided I was feeling good enough to run a marathon that day! I was ready to do it and be done with it! I called Mike and asked him if he'd think me crazy to run 26 miles instead of 18, and to find me an extra 8 miles to run. He was so SUPPORTIVE, and I really couldn't have done it without him. He was encouraging and positive about the whole thing. How lucky am I? He brought Abby and met me a few times along the route, bringing me water, Gatorade, and food. He called me throughout and made sure I was feeling good and to encourage me to keep a good pace. I felt so good throughout the entire run and never felt like I couldn't finish. The last 7 miles or so, my sweet mother-in-law ran with me to keep me motivated. I don't think I talked very much, but she kept the conversation going which helped me keep my mind off of how much pain my legs were in. We stopped and walked a few times just to give my knees a break (they were killing), but each time we stopped, I got back running again. The last 2 miles were killer, but it was no question in my mind that I was going to finish this run! Come to find out later, I actually ran 27.5 miles by accident! Miscalculation on my part! :)

About half-way through--right after I decided to go for it all!

Meeting up with my Mother-in-law, Kathy--She's a great motivator! She ran the St. George marathon while almost 3 months pregnant with twins (my husband and his brother)! She is amazing!



Looking back on it, I am amazed at what the human body can do if you put your mind to something. I don't think our bodies were created to run marathons, but I think our minds were created to help our bodies accomplish anything. Mind over will. And I know my mind is what pushed me through to the end. It may not have been an official race, but I am proud of myself for what I've accomplished--I never thought I'd say this, but I wouldn't mind doing it again! :) The training really prepared me--both physically and mentally--which made it seem easy. I think it also helped that I wasn't planning on running it that day because I didn't have the anxious feelings I sometimes get before races.


Last quick water stop with Mike and Abby. Abby had lost interest by now and was screaming after I ran away. She was sooooo done being in the car. :)


The recovery has been AWESOME. Mike researched online how to recover from running a marathon and found the most important thing is to not sit down right away. When I got home, that's all I wanted to do! I immediately sat down on the grass! But Mike made me get up and walk around the block a few times. He bought me a huge pasta lunch and made me eat all of it and drink glass after glass of water. He even made me stand up and eat! I took a nap and made sure I laid straight and didn't curl up into a ball so my muscles wouldn't get stiff. I was pretty tired, but still was able to catch a movie that night with some friends. I even sat through the whole thing without hurting. :) I've heard horrible recovery stories so I was grateful I had such an easy one. And I have Mike to thank! I had one day of soreness, but in all honestly, it felt like I had run my normal 18 miler--not 27!

I am sooooo thankful to Mike and Abby for supporting me throughout this whole process and pushing me to do my best. I have such a great family!

The home stretch--with Abby running to me!



I know I looked exhausted, but I really felt so good.....

I do plan on running still--just not my normal 8-18 milers. I think it will feel so good to just run 4 miles or 5 miles and maybe an 8 miler every now and then. Running is a great way for me to get rid of stress and negative energy--it really has helped me become more in-tune with my body, so I know I won't stop. My next race will be a mini-triatholon--a 400 yard swim, 11 mile bike ride, and 3 mile run. Sounds like a fun challenge!

13 comments:

Brian said...

Since when did 18 miles become a "normal run"? You are crazy, and in no doubt better shape than I ever have been or hope to be!

Bee Happy Stamper said...

Impressive...I could barely make it through kick boxing on Tuesday! I've never been a runner but would love to be!

Elizabeth said...

Yeah!! It is over!! Congratulations!! I am so impressed that you did it alone, and more miles. That is really awesome, wish we could have run it together. Let's plan one in a few years!

Chantalle said...

Awesome!! Kim Lerch just did her own marathon a few weeks ago too :) All of the ones do there are on Sunday, so she just planned to do it. How amazing are you to just decide to do it!! Great job.

Ali said...

AWESOME Laura! I love that you just decided to do your own and you had such great family support! Incredible! I love your saying- the body wasn't made to run marathons, but the mind was made to help the body accomplish anything- SO TRUE. You rock. I so want to do a sprint tri- but maybe not until I finish my goal of doing two halfs this year (never will I brave a full 26 miles) :)

Stacie said...

So glad to see pics of the even. Now I can picture it better. You do look great. More like you just went out and did a 10 miler. Not a 27 miler! Geez! Mike is such a cute supportive husband! So proud of you!

Giandrea said...

I love this story.

i love that you made it about the challenge and not about the big wig race. it seemed more genuine.

You have to read "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougal. It was the best book i've read in years... he might beg to differ that the human body isn't made to run a marathon... we are born to run. it's full of really interesting stories of ultra runners and history making races mixed with some interesting science and stories from a ultra running tribe in mexico that run 60-70 miles a day their whole life. I think you would enjoy it.

Melissa said...

good for you laura!! i'm so proud of you!! I just saw people running today and am really missing the runs, can't wait to get back into it but I don't think i'll be doing any 27 milers :). Congratulations!!! That's a real accomplishment!!

cara said...

Congratulations! What an accomplishment and now when you have a challenge, you can say, "if I can run a marathon, I can do anything!" Good job!

Liz said...

Congrats Laura!! I didn't realize you had decided not to run in Aptos. What a huge challenge to do it on your own! When you are in a big race usually the adrenaline keeps you going because you are caught up with all the festivities. You didn't have that. You did it on your own without the hype and glory of a huge gathering. You should be SOOOO Proud. What an accomplishment!

brooke said...

Oh my goodness! I am just now reading this and wanting to call you and scream CONGRATS! I am so happy for you. Holy smokes. You did it! Way to go Laura. You are so modest about all your many talents and abilities. Congrats on finishing your goal. You are awesome Laura!

maegan said...

um.... WOW! That is freaking awesome. I agree with Andrea, I like that you made it about the challenge. HUGE kudos! You're so modest about it too... and you've inspired me! Not saying I'm marathon material, but I'm ready to give loving running a try again. THANKS and congrats again.

Brett and Kimberly said...

Laura, way to go! I think there is such a high in finishing a marathon--I'm so proud of you! Let's do one together when you're up for training again :)