Thursday, May 14, 2009

WARNING: The Mother of all Posts

I really have not been doing so well at posting on my blog. And I won't make excuses (although my computer is real slow, I've been out of town, and there never seems to be enough time in the day) because that's what they will be: just excuses. Instead, I will jump straight to the three major events I've been meaning to post for over a month. This is more a photo journal for us, so feel free to just skim.....there will be LOTS of pictures ahead....and I do mean LOTS!

RAGNAR RELAY

In April, Mike and I ran in a Ragnar Relay race: 185 miles from Santa Barbara to Laguna Beach. We had a team of 12 runners, who each ran 3 legs. We drove 2 vans while rotating through our legs, sleeping at times, and running at others. It was a BLAST! Seriously, I never knew it would be so much fun. For days after, I went through Ragnar withdrawls. Mike and I had trained so hard beforehand, I didn't know what to do with myself afterwards. It was seriously that much fun! My legs were 5.5 miles, 5.4 miles, and then 10.3 miles! I wasn't planning on so many, but last minute changes put me in this position, so I ended up running 20 miles total.

My first leg was hot and long, but I loved running with other people, and having my van cheer me on while driving by. The next leg was at 2 in the morning, so not my favorite. It was dark and I ran through what I like to call "bar alley"--lots of bars, lots of crazy, drunk people, and no other runners around. I got lost because of un-marked paths, so it took me a little longer to get through. I also ran a few miles on a beach trail, which would have been nice had it been light out. But I was scared, so I ran even faster. My last leg was actually right through my home-town. And on the trail I've been training on. I think that's what made it so easy for me. At times I thought, I'm not going to make this! But I pushed through and made it! My sister-in-law ran the last few miles with me, which made it go by so much faster! I forgot I was going on mile 10 at the end! Mike ran a total of 19 miles, and he did awesome! His last leg was a HUGE hill--4 miles up and 4 miles down. And it was in the middle of no-where and it was HOT! But he was great and made it in great time! We really had so much fun together. I'm already anxious to get out there and race again....Who knows, maybe I'll try a marathon? :)



The team before heading out.

Starting line: Missy jumping in the air.

Our decorate Van#1: Team Mike N Ikes!


Leg #1: Ready to run!

Mike's Leg#1


One of the exchanges: beautiful!

Stretching out on the car...our hip muscles were hurting like crazy.

Eating a yummy dinner at exchange #12.

Night running--all lit up.

My sister was supposed to be on our team, but she formed her own.

Trying to catch some Zzzz's at the Santa Monica Pier.

Leg #2: It was sooo cold!

Leg #3: I made it!


Mike's Leg #3: He's yelling at us to tell me he saw my mom driving with Abby, and that her cell phone had died. Random, yes, but important.

The team at the finish line!

Abby going crazy at the finish line. My mom came and watched her while we were out running. Thanks Mom!

NEW YORK

For an early birthday present, I asked Mike if I could take a little trip to visit my one of my best friends in New York. We haven't seen each other for almost 2 years, and we had been playing phone tag for over two months when I finally decided it was time for a visit. Since she lives in FABULOUS New York, I thought I'd go visit her. :) And the best part, I got to go all by myself! (I know that sounds like I don't like Mike or Abby, but I really wanted to experience this on my own...) Mike got to go to New York last summer with his dad and brothers, so it was my turn to explore! And what better way than with my best friend?!? I was there for 5 days and loved every part of it! I missed Mike and Abby like crazy, but tried to stay busy so I wouldn't miss them too much. :) They did great at home without me....the last day, Abby kind of lost it. Every time I talked to Mike on the phone, she was bawling and screaming in the background. I knew it was time to come home then.

I loved exploring a new city (at times on my own), and I loved getting to spend time with Autumn. Good friends like her are HARD to come by, so I consider myself so blessed to have her in my life! I know she is a friend for life--and I look forward to more trips with her! It was fun to be a part of the "single scene" again; I'd forgotten how different it is from married life. But I loved being able to have conversations that didn't involve diaper rashes, nap times, or baby talk. I almost forgot how to have a conversation without talking about kids! What has happened to me? :)

Shake Shack: Yummy! Hamburgers, Concrete shakes, and cheese fries! Delicious!

Times Square

Hershey's M&M Store: Those are bins full of M&M's behind us--and yes, we did eat some!

Radio City

Grand Central Station

We went and saw The Little Mermaid! I LOVED it!

Times Square at night

Autumn and I in front of her apartment.

Central Park Reservoir with the city in the background.

Statue of Liberty

I love this picture! Look at the bird I got in the shot!

Ellis Island

Manhattan

Manhattan Temple

Autumn and the Subway, which was my favorite mode of transportation.
I woke up early and went and saw the Today show at NBC Studios. I showed up right in time to see the "gang" outside newscasting.

Brooklyn Bridge
Grimaldi's Pizzeria: SOOOOOO GOOOD!!!

We ate this entire pizza! Just the 2 of us!
GRADUATION

Mike graduated from Law School this past weekend! What an accomplishment! I am so glad it's over, and so glad Mike made it through the past 3 years. It has been a fun, exhausting road at times, but I am so proud of him and all the hard work he has put into it all. Now if only we could fast forward to August, after the Bar exam, then I can finally say we are officially GROWN-UPS! :) Yay to Mike for becoming a law graduate!! Mike's parents came to help celebrate this past weekend. I feel like all we did was EAT, EAT, and EAT some more, but that's always fun! Abby did really well eating out, for the most part. We went to the nearby mall and let her run through the fountains that popped out of the ground. She LOVED it! Put Abby in water and she is in heaven. We have a little fish on our hands!

Abby wouldn't cooperate for the picture. She demands attention in her own way. :)

Kisses for the graduate.

Abby played here for most of the graduation.

Walking in. What is he doing? So cute! :)




The family...

Yay! We're graduates of law school!
Getting his "diploma"
(a letter staying congrats and we'll let you know when your diploma is ready)


Check me out!

Abby and Grandpa

Three years ago we came as a couple, and now are leaving as a family of three.

8 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Does that mean that you guys are moving up here soon? I would love to get Caitlin and Abby together. Redheads unite!! We are in San Ramon now so let us know when you get up here!!

Liz said...

You have had soooo much going on!!! Congrats on the run- what an accomplishment!!! And Congrats to Mike for graduating! So happy for your family!

Alyssa said...

WOW! Good post...we suck at updating too! Congrats to Mike and good luck while he studies for teh Bar, come up anytime you need a break :-)

David said...

Man you gotta hurry over to Utah, so I can hang out with the baby! She is so cute, and I miss hanging out with her!

Sarah said...

Hey-you might think I'm a stalker-hope not.. remember me??? Sarah DaBell gone Berget? :) I just wanted to say that you're awesome! First off-ragnar is so much fun isn't it? I ran the one from Logan to Park City a couple years back and was scheduled to do it again this year-but I'm pregnant and this baby is being a stinker so not much running going on for me. I'm glad you had a blast and good job on your legs! I still have music on my ipod that remind me of ragnar... you'll have to do it again!

Second-your NY trip looks fabulous! Shake Shack and Grimaldi's are 2 of my favorite places there. Yumm..

Lastly-congrutulations on finishing law school! It's such a rewarding experience (even if you weren't the one actually taking the classes). Good luck on the bar exam.. these next few months could be worse than actual school! ;)

ndus_lori said...

I say do the disneyland race next year. Now that would be really fun! Or maybe it is just because it is through Disneyland.

cara said...

Love the mega post! I'm having withdrawals from Ragnar too. Such a fun time! Congrats to Mike for finishing and good luck on the bar. And, your trip to NYC looks like so much fun. We should definitely plan a girls trip there sometime.

brooke said...

This is the mother of all posts! First, I hope to run a relay with you next time, second...I love the pictures of you in NY esp the one of you in front on the temple. What a fun trip. Lastly, We are so happy for you guys. Tell Mike Congratulations from us!!! We love your family. Such great pictures.