I have had a couple goals concerning Abby this summer:
1) Be Potty-Trained by her 3rd birthday
2) Teach her how to swim
We are 3/4 of the way there. Abby can successfully use the potty when going #1. She, however, refuses to go #2. She will either hide away in the corner and go in her pants or ask to wear a diaper so she can hide away in a corner and do her business. I have tried everything I can think of--rewards, promises to do fun things, etc. We went to the store and picked out a toy she could open once she was successful and that toy has sat on the kitchen counter for the past month. Every now and then she will look at it and say, "I get that toy when I go poopy in the potty." She then runs away without a second thought. She just doesn't care. Any suggestions are most welcome. I am at a loss here. And the whole point of potty training has been defeated because I am still changing poopy diapers!
So, the biggest thing we've accomplished this summer is Abby learning how to swim! While on our trip to Newport, she seemed to relapse and was cautious while in the water. I was worried because she had never done that before, but she quickly got over it and by the end of the week was jumping in and swimming to us at a far distance. I like to take her to a small pool nearby where there's a slide and it's really shallow. Abby's favorite part of this pool is the deep end. She spends most of her time there jumping in and going under. Her latest is diving in the water for dive sticks. It amazes me how much she has grown just this summer.
Anyway, I have a couple videos of her daring adventures in the water that I wanted to post. They don't really show her at her best, but it gives an idea of what she can do. Enjoy!
4 comments:
Wow! That's so awesome that she's swimming so well! I wish we were that successful this summer. For potty training--have you tried letting her run around with a naked bum? Pooping in her pants probably feels just like a diaper, but if she pooped naked she would get dirtier than she's used to. Mason hated that and it totally worked for him. Good luck!
WOW she is such a good swimmer! That is amazing, good for her! For the potty stuff...we are struggling with #2 over here too, but when I took him off diapers I did it completely. He went in his underwear a few times in the beginning and now is at a point where he avoids going because he doesn't want to poop. The last two days he has been needing to go and won't, no matter how long he stays on the toilet. Today he finally did cause I made him sit there and John was home for lunch so he talked to him and he was distracted enough. Now I am giving him a little 'Plum Smart' juice everyday to help him get regular and make him go. We did the same thing with the toy and it sit there for a long time too. I have no idea what to tell you...we are getting better by the week but boy is this a long process. I hope next month is easier.
Her swimming is Awesome! Max is still very cautious about water, but I am just happy that he is now excited to go in! As for potty training...we went ALL in. There was no diapers to fall back on (we did still do pullup at night that were called "night time chonies" We struggled with #2 for about 2 months with that...but, it did finally work! He went once on the potty and then didn't for awhile. It was very frustrating, but he finally just got it! Good luck!
We got rid of the diapers and went cold turkey...day and night. Day would wait until nap time and poop in her panties (or not go) the first week. One day I heard her pushing. I got her and ran her to the bathroom. She finished pooping there, and I gave her a present. The next day, she saw a friend poop in the toilet, and then she totally went right after her. After that, she hasn't had a problem since. They just have to get over the fear of it, and then it's easy. Good luck! Let us know the next time you are down here, so we can play. We miss you guys.
Post a Comment