Wednesday, January 30, 2008

4 Month Check-Up

Abby had her 4 month check-up and shots yesterday. I had to take her in by myself (which I hate) because Mike was in class. I know, I know--I am spoiled, but I am taking full advantage of the free time Mike has now because I've seen how hard his parents work, and I know he won't have this much free time ever again! :) Anyway, the appointment went well for Abby with minimal cries or fussiness. She weighed in at 15 lbs. 3 oz. (90th percentile) and measured in at 25 1/2 inches long (90th percentile). She is one tall, chunky girl, but we wouldn't have it any other way. The doctor was concerned about her slight flat head and her torticolois (where her head is always tilted to one side), so she recommended we take her to see an orthopedic doctor to get some physical therapy and stretches to do at home. I really wasn't surprised to hear this as we had noticed her tilted head and because it runs in my family. Two of my sisters had girls with the same problem, but they are all fine now. It's just one more thing to worry about, so I'm trying NOT to worry about it. :) Abby did great during her shots. She didn't scream during the first two, but by the third one, she was mad. She calmed down right away, though. And she hasn't got a fever from it, yet, so I think we are doing well.



We have been trying to ween Abby out of being swaddled in order to go to sleep. She is so strong now, she can get out of any swaddle throughout the night. It's very annoying, but I keep reminding myself that we taught her this and enforced it. Right now I'm listening to her talk herself to sleep. I wrapped her body, but not her arms, but she doesn't know what to do with them. She kind of raises them above her body like, "Mom, what are these and why are they out of my wrap?" I'm hoping she gets out of this phase soon. Any suggestions on how to ween her out of this would be much appreciated.



In other news, I am trying to get my body back into some sort of shape. Mike said we've been acting like a bunch of 90 year olds. I told him, "I just had a baby, what's your excuse?" :) He now goes to the gym three times a week, while I'm trying to get back into running. I went for a little jog yesterday and practically killed myself. It was only a mile or so run, but I pushed myself too hard. I kept telling myself, "I'll run to the corner and then walk," but when I got to the corner I told myself, "I'll run to the next corner and then walk," but I didn't walk until the last few feet, so by the time I got back home, I ran to the bathroom and threw-up. Luckily I hadn't had breakfast, so there wasn't much to hurl, but it was still gross. And today I woke up feeling like a 90 year old. I haven't felt like this since high school soccer trainings! It feels great, but I don't know when I'll feel good enough to get back out there! Here's to feeling like a 90 year old! And here's a picture for you to look at...isn't she cute?

10 comments:

Lindi said...

She is very Healthy! I think Max finally caught up to Abby :) Keep up with the workouts.I know what you are going through.

Glenn said...

A mile? Slacker! :) Your daughter is cute though, hope I can see you guys soon.

Chantalle said...

Glenn, have a baby and THEN talk. Well, Abby is almost as tall as Zach, but she has a pound on him :) You are lucky to be able to go outside and run! I long for the day we see the ground again...

Cara said...

Just remember: nine months up, nine months down! You'll be running miles before you know it! Abby sure is darling. Hope to see her soon!

Tara said...

Adorable. We should go running sometime. I am a fellow 90 year old.

Robin said...

Yes! She is very cute! Way to go and work out! You motivate me!

Amy said...

so, if you are 90 what does that make me????? Depressing!!!!!

Elizabeth said...

Tell Glenn he better be running three miles a day to call you a slacker! Don't push too hard, it will all come back to you. As for the nasty torticolis, I was all up in arms about that, and we did PT for about 3 months, and it didn't really do anything. But, as she kept growing, we kept doing more at home and now her neck isn't bent anymore! YEAH! Don't stress, just do little things in the free moments you have to keep her neck loose. Love ya!!

emily said...

Laura, Emily here, Liz's old roomie. I did the same swaddling thing with my oldest boy...we called them burrito baby. Just sleep train, it's SO hard, but you have to do it!

Wendy said...

Abby is getting so big, I can't believe how much she has grown since we saw her last. When Mea was getting use to now being swaddled, we started by just leaving one arm out...when she got use to that we went to two. Good luck, kids are just so much fun! Oh, and the exercise kills, I know...I've never felt older as when I was working my body back in shape. Don't forget to do your planks.

Love you guys,
Wendy