Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Life Without Internet

I realize it has been too long since my last post, but I have a great excuse for that. After our trip to Utah, we came home to no internet for over a week. At first it didn't bother me; I got a lot done as far as projects, cleaning, and taking care of Abby and Mike. After a couple of days, however, I started to get real mopey...pretty down in the dumps. I couldn't figure out what my deal was. I finally realized yesterday that not having the internet really made me feel disconnected from EVERYTHING and EVERYONE. I know it is a HUGE distraction when I have it around, but when I don't have it, I really feel alone and just plain bored. Does that make sense to anyone? If not, I guess I'm just weird. I have this goal, especially after General Conference, to not be doinking around the internet so much because the time I do have is precious, and I should be utilizing it, not abusing it. But posting on my blog is not doinking...it's journaling!

On to more exciting things. Mike and I went to Utah over a week ago while Mike was on Spring Break. I don't know what I am going to do with myself when Mike is done with school. I take advantage of him being home and will be so sad when I can't have him home all the time. :) Anyway, our trip was to take my mom to a writer's conference in Orem. Mike was great--he took care of Abby during the 2 days while I went to the conference with my mom. The conference was great and really got us motivated to start writing--my mom will be published before I even get started, I am sure of this. :) It was such a relaxing trip and really enjoyable to be with family.


Today I took Abby to Disneyland with my friend and her five kids. What a fun day we had! It was incredibly crowded, and we were only there for a couple of hours, but that is the great part about living so close. We can just go back another day. My friend is "Super Mom" with her five kids. She had one stroller for her little 2 year old, and the rest of the kids walked as fast as she could. I couldn't believe how they could keep up....very impressive! Abby rode the carousel for the first time and did great. No tears! I got to ride Space Mountain with my friend's little four year old, who just smiled at me the whole time. What brave kids! We had a great time and can't wait to go back when my sister and her family come to town.
Here are our latest pics....there are lots, so beware!
Before we went to Utah, we visited my aunt and uncle and cousins in Ventura. We stayed the whole weekend and really had a blast hanging out with everyone. My cousin just moved up to San Francisco, so we went to say goodbye before he left.



While in Utah, my dad got Abby to do "bonks" with her head. He'd lean his head forward, and then she would lean hers until she bonked his. It was pretty darn cute.


Easter day...Abby's dress was made by Grandma Sue. I was supposed to make it--I bought the fabric and everything, but my mom does such a terrific job, I had to get her to do it. :) Thanks Mom! (I did make her hair bow...or maybe my mom did, I can't remember!)


Abby with her Uncle David. She just loved him! Everytime he came in the room, she'd smile and get all excited. We miss you David!
Abby got to sit and do crafts with Grandma and I while in Utah. She got real good at sitting up while we were there. Now she can sit-up for a long time and prefers it to laying down.

I just love this green dress from Grandma and Grandpa Hall. It was Abby's Easter present from them and it is just soooo cute. I really like green on Abby with her red hair!

Abby's first attempt at eating rice cereal. The first day was frustrating for me, as I thought it would come naturally to her, but unfortunately, it seemed to go everywhere but IN her mouth. After a week, she is MUCH better. We are looking forward to trying baby food just to see the funny expressions she makes.


Abby after getting used to rice cereal and actually enjoying it. She attacks the spoon now when she sees it!


We went to dinner at my grandparent's home a month or so ago and took these fun pictures. I LOVE living close to them and getting to see them often. They just love Abby, too!


So, about a month ago we got to go to the Toshiba Senior Golf tournament in Newport Beach. Our friend got us tickets so we spent one day there. We sat on the 18th green in box seats where they had a catered lunch with yummy sandwiches and desserts. We even got to bring Abby! And she didn't make a peep! They actually had workers yell "Quiet please!" to all of us sitting in the box seats, and sometimes people wouldn't be quiet. Rude! We had an awesome time! Mike even went back the next day and they let him in the box seats again without a ticket because they recognized him! (well, they remembered he had a baby and wondered where she was....)
We are enjoying the warmer weather and longer days here as we plan our move back to the Bay Area. Mike will be done with his second year of law school in a month, and then it's off to work for his dad for the summer. We are looking forward to being home for a little bit, but will miss our friends here! Time really does fly by!

6 comments:

Robin said...

WOW! What fun times! I wish I could go to Disneyland anytime I want. I am going to have to live my dreams through you! Abby is the cutest, happiest, funnest baby ever! I love her smile and pictures! She is a doll! Can't wait to see you guys!

Elizabeth said...

Wow, so many fun things! You guys are always busy, I love the pictures of dad and Abby and grandma and grandpa. I sure hope we get to come out this summer! Hope to see you guys soon!

JulieB said...

I really feel your pain about the internet thing...that's how it was in China, having half the websites blocked and having our internet go down all the time. I love your pictures! How did I not notice that Abby was a redhead before? Cute!

Cara said...

Abby is getting so big! I can't wait until you guys are up here so I can see her more often, I mean see YOU more often :)

kim&ryan said...

Sounds like you all have had a ton of fun. I can't wait to see you guys in like 2 weeks!!!

crush said...

Laura, so great to see you guys and your cute little Abby. I loved seeing Grandma and Grandpa, too! How fun you got to see them. Great job on the blog. Loved the 80's picture!