Sunday, January 18, 2009

To My Grandma...

In memory of my dear Grandma, Helen Bell, who passed away Saturday.




I will miss....
  • hearing you say "Bye, bye, Sweetie" on the phone to me
  • talking to you about your youth and the people you knew and the games you played (you could always remember the tiniest detail)
  • your bubble-gum filled purse--you always had the best flavors!
  • taking you to the library for your month-long reading supply
  • your lunch invitations for tuna salad in an avocado or stuffed zucchini with fresh watermelon (yours with salt, mine without)
  • your endless supply of groccery coupons you always shared with me
  • your sweet letters that always had a cute smiley-face drawn on it somewhere
  • your birthday cards--you never forgot
  • going to church with you
  • watching my mom give you a perm
  • seeing you wave from your front porch as we drove away...

I will miss your laugh, your smile, and the sweet sassiness you always brought into a room. You will always hold a piece of my heart -- Thank you for giving me such a wonderful heritage to pass on to my family. You will be missed, but always remembered!!


8 comments:

Brittany said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma, Laura. Let us know if we can do anything! Love ya!

Glenn said...

Well put Laura. I will miss her for her tight squeezes and her loving slap on my back when I was acting up. :)

Ali said...

Laura, I'm so sorry. It's sweet to hear specific memories you had of her...and good for you for writing them down! I did that when my Grandma passed away years ago, and how thankful I am that I did. When I read those, it brings SO many sweet memories back. Your Grandma sounds like she was nothing but goodness. Your family will be in our prayers.

Cara said...

Really liked your post, so I copied :) I will miss her, too. See you soon...

Swanki Girls said...

Your Grandma sounds like so much fun. As I read that and the things like the 'smiley-faces' on letter and 'her sweet sassiness,' it just makes me think of her youth and how she probably was when she was younger. It's nice that she never lost those things and that you knew her so well. We are thinking about you and love you!

Liz said...

Beautiful tribute to your Grandma! I am sure she will be missed by all. My heart goes out to you! Love-Liz

kim&ryan said...

So sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mark and Kirsten said...

i'm sorry again about your grandma, it sounds like you two were really close!! loved the post!!

i tagged you in my blog! :)