Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What was I thinking?

This seems to be the theme of my new year already: what was I thinking? I always get excited and maybe a little overwhelmed with a new year. I want to accomplish so much and make it the best year ever, which is probably why I already feel exhausted! :)

My 3 MAIN RESOLUTIONS for the New Year:
1. Run in a Ragner Relay Race--178 miles with a 12 member team, which takes place in a 24 hour period (WHAT WAS I THINKING?)
2. Participate in Project 365 (WHAT WAS I THINKING?) (If you're interested, it's not too late to start! And if you're really into paper scrapbooking, here is a great kit!)
3. Get going on a 72-Hour Kit (I'm such a slacker...even the fires and earthquakes here haven't spooked me into getting started...)

I guess the first 2 already have me worried. I went running this morning with Abby and the entire time I kept thinking, "I'm never going to be able to run in this race. WHAT WAS I THINKING?" But then I realized that I wouldn't be pushing a stroller during the race, so that made me feel a little bit better. I hope I can stay dedicated to the training and push myself. I'm not much of a pusher; if I don't feel like doing it, I'm more than likely to talk myself out of it, or just make excuses. But Mike is doing the race with me, so hopefully we can push each other.

My final "WHAT WAS I THINKING?" moment for the day: we finally gave in and bought our very own internet connection! After months of being disconnected from the world, we decided it was worth the money to get it. Now, I know this should be an exciting and more efficient way to stay in touch with the world, but I spent MORE THAN ENOUGH TIME on it today, doing absolutely NOTHING! WHAT WAS I THINKING!!?!?! So a new resolution: spend only quality time using the internet....now, how would you define quality?

Anyway, now that we are connected to the "real world," I will hopefully keep the blog updated frequently. My first update is Christmas and New Year's. We spent Christmas in Oceanside, CA with Mike's family at a beach house. We loved being with everyone and enjoyed the chaos with 11 kids running around! We spent a week there, went home for a couple of hours to do some laundry and then drove up to Pleasanton for New Year's and to be at our new nephew's baby blessing. WARNING: LOTS of pictures ahead!


Fun new Christmas PJ's....aren't we cute?

And the boys in their new "PJ PANTS"--aren't they handsome?

We attempted to take a picture of the 3 girls in their new pj's, but Abby didn't really want to.
The kids acted out the Christmas story.....it was pretty cute to watch. I organized it all and thought the kids did AWESOME! The best part was when we put "baby Jesus" in the carseat--ALL the kids surrounded "him" and put toys all over "him." (Baby Jesus was played by my niece Cambri....and she did excellent, too!) :)
Abby loved opening presents...on her own time. She actually had quite a few, so I think she got bored after the first three. But she got the hang of it eventually. She'd open one, then run off and play with something else, or go looking for food. I swear, all she did at the beach house was eat!
Abby's Christmas Theme: ELMO. She got an Elmo Live from Mike's parents and she LOVES it, as long as it's not turned on. Turn that bad boy on, and she throws a tantrum. She doesn't get it yet, but hopefully with time she'll learn to love it. For now, she carries him (or drags him) around the house and gives him hugs and kisses.
Mike and I found this chair on Christmas Eve at Toys 'R Us and just had to get it for her. I think it was her favorite gift. She LOVES to sit on her Elmo chair. And it spins and talks to her and plays "Elmo Says". Her favorite thing to do with it is either stand on it to climb up onto our coffee table or couch, or actually sit on it and watch Elmo's World.
Abby just LOVES babies. Whenever baby Cambri was put on the ground in her carseat, Abby high-tailed herself over to see her. She would give her hugs and kisses whenever someone would let her. It was pretty cute to watch.....maybe that means she's ready for a sibling? If only the parentals were....(I guess I should say, if only Mike were....)

The day after Christmas we did a scavenger hunt with the family. We were on teams and had to drive around and take pictures of different things. Our nephew Nathan was on our team and one of the things we had to do was make a disguise out of paper products. We sat in a McDonald's tearing paper cups and napkins to make this disguise. Pretty funny, especially because everyone stared at us like we were crazy!

Abby with her cousin Dylan. He was blessed in San Francisco, and we would have actually made it to the blessing if Mike's alarm had gone off. We woke up 20 minutes before church, and we still had to get ready and drive out there (it's a 45 minute drive). We actually were able to get ready and be there in 1 hour, but we still missed it! So sad!
At a luncheon after the blessing, Abby discovered a new toy--a fun little bik! I think it's called an Okiedog, but it was so perfect for her little legs. She was actually able to move around by herself.

After sushi with our friends--Mike didn't want to hold Abby because she was poopy. But that is Abby's good friend Max (and I think he might be worried about her poopy, too!)

The San Francisco Zoo with cousin Sienna. I held their hands while Mike and my sister Cara pushed strollers. Cara also carried Dylan around in a sling. It was such a nice day in the city and LOTS of animals were out. Sometimes it's hit or miss there. Thanks for letting us come, Cara!

Abby and Sienna looking at the lions. Aren't we brave? Mike kept banging on the glass until the lions stood up and looked at us. We didn't stick around much after that. There was once a tiger break-out (with a fatality), so it made me nervous to be around with Mike taunting them.

Hanging out at the petting zoo. Abby was not as excited as her last visit to a petting zoo. She wouldn't get too close, but she did love to watch the animals. I guess it's okay for now--less germs, right? :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Fun Post!!!! YEA, finally you have internet. I really have felt out of touch with you...so keep posting. Like the new hair cut, it's cute!!!! Love you guys!

Lyric said...

You shouldn't be worried about taking a picture a day ... it's not as hard as it sounds and it's REALLY fun to look back and remember things that you normally would have forgotten. It's a much easier way to keep a journal ... although you miss details ... whatever! I'm glad you're back online ... good for you! I started running, too ... almost died after 1/2 a mile. It's a start, right?

cara said...

Yeah for internet! Love all the pics, especially Mike's face in the poopy diaper pic! I think you'll be fine for the race. Have you seen the training schedule on the website? Today is a 15 min run. I went for a run yesterday with Jeff and the double jogger. I'm glad I don't have to push that in a race. Wow, that thing is a beast! I'm interested in the picture-a-day scrappin'; not doing it myself, but seeing yours :)

Unknown said...

abby is so cute! it looks like you guys had fun. love your hair!

Ali said...

Such a fun update- you guys have some fun family traditions set:) Love the disguise game. You are so going to rock at this race, and just know that on the actual race day, you'll do 10X better than when you trained because adrenaline will kick in, and then you'll be addicted to signing up for and running in races all your life cause you'll get that "high". Training definitely IS the hardest part though!

Mom said...

Glad you're back on! It was fun seeing all your pictures. I like Abby's face in the last one.:)

David said...

I like the last picture too. That face is priceless!