Friday, January 13, 2012

Emma's First Week

Bringing Emma home from the hospital was almost a relief. We only stayed over one night because I was done with all the nurses and interruptions. I knew once I got home I'd have more time to just sleep without having people in all hours of the night checking up on me. Emma has been a dream baby. She has slept great since the first night and has only continued to sleep better each day. I attribute that to my mother--who is a great sleep trainer. When my mom came to stay with us, she so willingly takes the night shift with the new babies. She is a GREAT sleep-trainer, holding the babies off with a pacifier until they are inconsolable. It's usually only a 3-5 hour stretch, but it's amazing how good that feels as a new mom to be able to sleep more than 2 hours at a time. I believe that because of those stretches, my babies learn to sleep long periods of time.... And I have my mother to thank!

When we left the hospital they were worried about her weight gain. Emma had lost almost a whole pound so they made sure I went to see her doctor later that week. I wasn't too worried. Emma slept almost 8 hours after she was born, so I knew that was a big part of why her weight had taken such a drop, but I still went to the doctor. They recommended giving her formula in addition to my nursing her. I gave her a bottle once, but then decided she was nursing better and more often, so I didn't give her one again. Her next appointment she had gained a whole pound! And that was in only a few days. The doctor was happy, and so were we. We have another healthy, chunky baby on our hands.

Emma found her fingers....

Abby loves to lay next to her sister...

My mom, the sleep trainer.

Emma's first sponge bath. Mike is the official bath-giver in our home.

My dad came soon after Emma was born. He was a great help, especially with Abby. She loves her Grandad.

Abby is really good at holding Emma, which I was surprised at. Usually, it's only a 2 minute hold before her arms are "tired."

Play time with Grandma Sue.

My mom braided our hair....I miss having her around to do this.

Coming home. I never really look at myself in the mirror while at the hospital, but boy, do I still look pregnant or what? Ha! :)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I LOVE how her fingers are in her mouth! Classic! Can't wait to finally see and hold her soon!!

Amy said...

Yay....Pictures and lots of good updates! You guys have been SUPER busy. Can't wait to see you guys and finally meet that chunky monkey!! You are SO lucky...2 redheads. No fair. AND, we recorded MK at bedtime when she was 2 years old. Best thing I ever did....we LOVE listening to it. You will be glad you recorded Abby!! See ya soon!