Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Crafts

I was busy this month making lots of Christmas presents for people. I already posted pictures of the tree skirt I made for my sister-in-law and her family, but I wanted to show off the rest of my makings.....(and show a few Christmas photos, too!)

Throw blanket--I made 2, one for Mike and one for my sister, Liz. I took a nap with this one today and it was heavenly--so soft and warm!

Daily planner cover--My MIL was in need of a planner, so I bought a cheap monthly planner at the drugstore and made a cover out of fabric for it. I covered the fabric with iron-on vinyl and then put the letter "K" on with mod-podge.


Inside of the planner.




I made these fabric covered bracelets for my mom and Mike's mom. I made 4 total because they ended up being so easy. They may not last forever, but they turned out so cute! I got the idea from here, which my friend told me about.


I made these sugar cookies with icing out of felt for Abby. They were more tedious than I thought they would be, but turned out so cute.



Felt woven picnic basket--for Abby. I made this basket a long time ago and it took forever. I had to cut all the skinny strips and then weave them. Tedious, but oh so cute! Abby got a play kitchen for Christmas, so I wanted to fill this with food. My original plan was to make lots of felt food, but after the cookies, I decided to just look for cheap felt food. I found a bunch at Pottery Barn Kids on clearance, which filled the basket for less than $10! Wohoo!

Neighbor goodies--white chocolate peppermint pocporn. Oh so yummy!
I posted this post way back in February about crafting a craft forward. I totally forgot about it until earlier this month, so I whipped this apron together for my friend who also participated in the Crafting it Forward. I hope she likes it!



Homemade wrapping paper--I got this idea from a friend. I decided to give it a try with Abby. We made stamps out of sponges and then dipped them in paint and went to town on butcher paper. Abby had a lot of fun and I love how it turned out. I almost forgot to wrap presents with it, but Abby reminded me.



On my side of the family, cousins exchange ornaments every year. I did this with my cousins, so I was happy to continue the tradition with my kids and nieces and nephews. I made this Sleeping Beauty cross-stitch for Abby's cousins, Ashlyn. She loves Sleeping Beauty and this was so fun to do for her.

We had a great, low-key Christmas here at the Hall home. We woke up around 8:30, took Abby down to see her presents and then waited for Mike's parents to open presents. (They were at Christmas morning at Mike's brothers house). We were in no hurry. Abby loved playing with her presents from "Santa"--a new tricycle, a Noah's Ark Little People play-set, and a telephone. Mike made a delicious french toast breakfast with an cinnamon apple topping. He has become quite the breakfast chef! After breakfast, we started to open presents with Mike's parents. After 4 or 5 presents, Abby declared, "No more! All done!" She was so overwhelmed by all the presents, and refused to open anymore. She still has 6 presents left to open still sitting under the tree today. I wish I had her on film saying, "No more!" for the future when I can hear her asking, "No more?" :) It was pretty cute.


Abby on her new tricycle. She kept saying, "Santa, bike!" I guess she knew Santa brought it for her. She can't ride it on her own yet, but that will come with time, right?



Just lazying around after opening presents. Abby is watching her new movie, Monsters, Inc. Mike and Dan are sleeping and Kathy is watching Abby. :)



Mike making breakfast for us. Yummy!



I made Mike a book about Abby's 2nd year of life. Abby had fun looking at it with him, but got mad when he wouldn't let her hold it.


Abby showing of her new Christmas Eve PJs. I found these at a consignment sale with the slippers for $5! What a steal! She loves to wear them!


After lazying around all morning on Christmas, Mike and I went for a bike ride. That's right--a bike ride. We inherited Mike's parents' road bikes and have really enjoyed learning how to bike. We have some good friends here who have taken us around a couple of times, and after the first few "butt" aches, I have come to really like it. Those seats are NOT comfortable, but you get used to it, I guess. We had fun riding around town--as it was a BEAUTIFUL Christmas day. After our ride, we got ready to go to my sister's house for Christmas dinner. My parents were here as well as both my brothers, so we all met together for dinner. It was so fun to be together--I wish we all lived close so we could get together for every holiday. My favorite part was seeing Abby interact with her Grandma Sue and Granddad and Uncle David. She doesn't see them very often, but when she does, she loves to play and hug and kiss them!

Abby with her cousins, Dylan and Sienna. Abby and Sienna are "fri-enemies". They love each other, but sometimes I wonder how much. :) But when they play well together, it's so sweet. And Dylan just watches them and tries to avoid the chaos. :)




Abby and her Uncle David. He stayed with us for a few days. I know I've posted this somewhere before, but Abby loves David. No matter how long it's been since she's seen him, she will always run up to him and hug him and be so excited to see him!

My parents bought Abby a Little Mermaid baby doll. I am so glad Abby enjoys dolls and will play with them like they are her babies. I grew up with LOTS of dolls and I'm glad my daughter is the same way.


On Christmas Eve, we went with my family to San Francisco. We grew up going as a family, so we continued the tradition. We went to Golden Gate Park, Union Square, and we ate at House of Nanking. Abby lasted the whole time with no nap, which is always interesting. She completely lost it at dinner--screaming, yelling, crying, no matter what I did to console her. I don't remember if dinner was even good or not. I was shoveling food down so fast, I just wanted her to stop crying. We left and she immediately fell asleep in her stroller. I guess she just needed a good cry-out. But nevertheless, we had a great time with everyone!


Abby's Christmas dress. I wanted to make it this year, but decided I had enough projects. I found this at a consignment sale and was so excited because of the colors. It was beautiful on her!




Breakfast with Santa--Abby met Santa at the Bishop's house this year. It was better than last year (check out this post--scroll down and see her picture), but she wouldn't even look at him. She turned her head or closed her eyes. At least I got her to sit on his lap! And she said "Bike" when he asked her what she wanted. She's so funny.


This year for Christmas, my mom painted me a painting. She has taken painting classes the last couple of years and has slowly made her way around the family painting pictures for everyone. It was my turn this year and was ECSTATIC with what she did! She painted Stonehenge, my favorite place in England. When I went on a study abroad there, this was my favorite stop. Our group had a private viewing of the sacred place, right at sunset, and we actually got to walk among the large stones and touch them. It may just look like a bunch of rocks (literally), but when I was there, it felt so sacred and special. It's more than just rocks. And it's held a special place in my heart ever since. Thanks, Mom, for painting something that means so much to me!

9 comments:

Ali said...

You never cease to amaze me...and your Mom too. I want some of your guys' talent! That painting is amazing...and I can't imagine how long that felt basket must have taken! WOW.

Oh, and Jeff was glancing at this post when I was reading it and said "Abby is a really cute little girl, isnt she?" :) Sure is!

Chantalle said...

What a fun post! So, we need to reinstate craft night so we can start making stuff again :) I keep having ideas and getting distracted, so it would be nice to have time to do something. LOVED the homemade wrapping paper, I am going to try and remember that for next year. And that tree skirt is AMAZING! We don't have a tree skirt...or stockings, so that is on the list to make before next December :)

Stacie said...

Oh my gosh Laura, I knew you were craft, but are you kidding me? You are better than Martha Stewart. and now that I know it, I will have to become your sidekick so I can start making cool things. I actually don't know if I've attempted to "make" anything... ever. No joke.
But maybe that will change! Great post! I feel inspired.

Stacie said...

I meant to say "crafty" :-)

brooke said...

I second, or third the craft night :)
Looks like you had a successful Christmas. Those are the best kind of gifts. I am so impressed with your talent Laura! And I love the painting from your mom. Beautiful!!

Wendy said...

Laura,
I am so impressed! I long for the days when I used to be able to craft like that. Take advantage of it - you are one talented gal!

Hugs-

maegan said...

Love it all! You have far more patience than I. Those cookies and that basket are pretty awesome! Your mom's painting is amazing, I know its probably the preggo hormones talking, but I just about cried thinking about how neat that must have been. Very cool.

Oh and thanks of the wrapping paper shout out! :)

Kristin said...

I'm sure I'm late to see and comment on this...but your Mom is amazing! And you and your sisters do so many creative and awesome things just like her.

That painting is gorgeous!

I have a framed Proclamation on my wall with pressed flowers under the glass that came from my Mom's backyard. Guess who pressed the flowers and put it all together? Yup, that would be your mom.

Carleton & Robyn said...

Abby is so cute and so tall. I love all the things you've been working on. I want to try out that bracelet you made. Way cute. I miss you guys. Abby and Apollo would have so much fun together.